Monday, June 22, 2009

That Mom

I am officially that mom. You know, the mom I saw other women being and swore I would never become. It's all good and easy to coach from the sidelines, but when you're faced with a tantrum or breaking point, it's a whole new ball game. I became a mom at 28, so I had the advantage of watching many of my friends and family members parent their children. I have looked into their mommy book and highlighted the things I would do and crossed out those I swore I would never do. But, moms are only human. And we have breaking points too. 

When Cambria was colicky in the early days, I would have sat her in front of the TV with a bowl full of french fries covered in chocolate WAY past her bedtime if it would have helped. Yesterday on Father's Day, I took Cambria to the grocery store with me so that Ryan could have some quiet time. After the 10th person didn't say "hi" or wave back at her, she had a melt down. She started screaming "hi" and yelling at the top of her lungs. I tried all the tough mom routines, but the only thing that she decided would calm her down was my grocery list, which we've tried before and has ended in me holding the pieces together to see what I still need to get. So, I did it. I said I would never do it. I made fun of the moms who do it. I grabbed a box of crackers and gave her one after another until we checked out, when I had to shyly hand them to the cashier and explain why they were open. I swear Cambria was smiling during that conversation. 

This next that mom moment I have photo proof of. Ryan was at the CWS and I was on bedtime duty. All I wanted was to finish loading the dishwasher before we headed to bed (that's right, I said "we" - Ryan had been at the CWS all day and I was exhausted). Cambria wanted to help...


I just needed 3 more minutes, so I gave her a wooden spoon and a bowl. I had heard rumors that babies liked this. She did...


for about 30 seconds. I had to think fast. I needed 2 more minutes out of a very tired baby. Without thinking, I opened the refrigerator door so she could play with the condiments in the bottom shelf. I know - I was desperate, but it has been proven to work before. I turned after 20 seconds to see this. Still with the spoon in her hand.


Yes, yes. I am that mom. And yes, I grabbed the camera instead of the baby. You're welcome. :) 

TSIB,
M

4 comments:

  1. classic, melissa! i love it. its so true, so true.
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! "sat her in front of the TV with a bowl full of french fries covered in chocolate"...perfect way to describe things. You have a gift with words.

    And the pictures are AWESOME! I need to start snapping away the "special moments of mayhem" too.

    You are coming to the realization that all moms have to accept. It is all about the baby! And you KNOW how hard it is for me to have someone else getting all the attention.

    - Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so *that* mom as well and I have come to terms with it. I love the line Heidi commented on because it resonated with me as well. I think my favorite part of your blog is that you type tsib every time. It's just hilarious. And I loved H's "big whoop, i'm cool" post. Funny funny girls. Your kiddos sure are lucky to have such cool mommas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok it's 1am and your blog is too entertaining to stop reading. These pictures I just had to comment on they are cracking me up! Lis

    ReplyDelete