Tuesday, April 21, 2009

“I’m Just Sayin…”

Don’t get me wrong, I love my friends. Really I do. And my two current favorites are Nikki and my blog partner Melissa. (They are aware of this lofty status and realize they can lose it at any time because I have a large pool of friends from which to pick. This is not arrogance, just stating the facts.)

I love them because they get me, and I never have to put up a front around them. I love them because they tell me with no remorse whatsoever that I used to dress like my legs were two inches shorter than what they actually are and my abdomen too inches longer than what it actually is. I love them because they are my therapists, sounding boards and motivators all wrapped into one. And, most of all, I love them because they take care of me.

But there is always a yang for every ying. They annoy me because they always feel the need to “teach” me how to parent. (Have I mentioned I have three children and all are happy and healthy?) They freak out because I rotate my baby girl’s formula like they switch out purses. They questioned my decision to stop giving her acid reflux medicine when it seemed to do nothing (Yes, she continues to spit up, but who really cares? NOT HER…she just sits there smiling with a milky white waterfall bubbling down her chin half the day.) And don’t get me started on the brand of diaper debate. They both swear by their sacred brands and wouldn’t dare deviate from them. By contrast, how do my husband and I decide what to buy? We simply scan the aisle to see what’s on sale. Problem solved.

So, when I start to see them raise their eyebrows at one another in response to something I have or have not done for my children, I know their collective advice is coming (whether I like it or not). And it usually begins with the phrase, “I’m just sayin…”

Thankfully, they have grown accustomed to me “just ignorin.”
-H

2 comments:

  1. You gotta go with what works for you sister! I think half of parenting (or maybe more) is instinct and not advice from others. If my kids didn't break out in a rash from cheap diapers I would have bought them too! Hang in there - sounds like you're doing great mama.
    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have 3 kids, but you looked to the first-time mom as to what to expect during your pregnancy and called your doc WAY more than I did. :)
    M

    ReplyDelete